Your search results

12. Can I pay in cash for a property?

Posted by vanBevern on 22. September 2017
0

Any amount over US$ 10,000 brought into the country must be declared. Depending on the sales price of the property, you can pay the 10% deposit at the notary’s office in cash; this is actually quite common. The remaining 90%, however, must be sent by a wire transfer. Uruguay places significant emphasis on the fact that it does not permit money laundering, which means that a currency transaction report must be filed for transfers over US$10,000. For this reason, cash payments are neither common nor desirable. While we wouldn’t completely rule out the possibility in exceptional cases, we are opposed to cash payments on principle.

Compare Listings